Friday, January 21, 2011

Friday Find: Precision Knife Set

Those of you who know me well, know that I am one of those quirky women who love shopping in a hardware store more than a fancy department store! LOL One of my favorite places to explore is my local Harbor Freight Store, where I always discover at least one new gizmo or gadget that I *must* take home with me every time I visit. During a recent trip, I totally fell in love with this great set of craft knives with 13 different blade shapes:

Precision Knife Set - Item #32099

Harking back to my professional graphic designer days, I have always preferred using a craft knife for a variety of duties. Some people like using the swiveling blade type, but I don't feel that I have as much control, so I prefer the stationary type. When I took up scrapbooking, I was one of the few designers who used one to cut all my papers, title letters, and custom shapes instead of scissors. For metal clay work, I use it to "drill" and refine holes, engrave, and carve out details. For mixed media work, it's handy for things like scraping away dried resin or paint, poking holes in paper and fabric, or applying glue into a tiny, precise area.

I usually use a No. 11 X-acto blade with a very sharp tip, but think the variety in this set will be very helpful for other things like carving rubber stamps or shaping hot glass and sculptural work. I love the magnetic strip that holds all the blades in place when you're not using them, and the thick plastic grip will be nice for big projects to help prevent hand cramps. Best of all, the price is under $6, so this is a steal! Just keep in mind that all blades will eventually dull—especially on materials like paper or wood—so be sure to replace them as soon as you notice that your cuts aren't as clean or easy to make anymore. For things like glass sculptural work, you probably don't have to worry about that though. I can't wait to use these on some fun projects! *Ü*

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! I love hearing from you and hope you will stop by again! *Ü*

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...