Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Katie's Senior Project

Life just seems to be getting crazier and crazier for me and my family these days! LOL One of the biggest reasons is that my oldest daughter, Katie, will be graduating from high school this year and she has a lot of things to finish up before they kick her out into the big, cold world! ;-D

One of her graduation requirements is that she had to create her own special project and then present a tri-fold project board and an oral report to a jury of teachers. So about two weeks ago, she came to me for some advice on her project board. After a lot of brainstorming together, we came up with this:


Pretty nifty, eh? Can you tell what Katie's Senior Project might be all about? ***ding!*ding*ding*** If you guessed it has something to do with cooking, then you win a prize! She tested recipes and then created a cookbook featuring all sorts of yummy desserts (a girl after my own heart!). After showing her how to make her own book covers, I got to break out the book binding kit that I've had stashed in my closet for years and this is how it turned out…


Now, how sweet is that?! The pages she created to go inside are very pretty too—but just looking at the photos made me gain about 5 pounds! LOL For the design effects on the tri-board, we came up with some more brilliant ideas…


Making these 3-D cupcakes look as realistic as possible was a stroke of genius, if I do say so myself! It involved creating a custom pattern to make the pleated wrappers out of decorative papers, cutting a Styrofoam ball in half, "icing" it with tinted joint compound, then airbrushing on more color (just like they do in a real bakery). They look good enough to eat—but I wouldn't recommend it unless you really like your dentist?! Hah! A "cupcake stand" made out of cardstock spray painted with silver metallic paint and dimensional pop-dots completes the effect.


How about some gingerbread cookies made out of brown cardstock, "baked" with brown stamp ink and decorated with white dimensional fabric paint "icing"? And check out the painted faux wood "table" on the bottom (one of our favorite effects of the whole project!).

A little decorative wall painting techniques for the background, some text, and many long hours later, and voilà! Now, before you start to get suspicious that this whole thing is starting to look like *I* did all of these for her, let me assure you that Katie did 95% of all the work shown here! I'm a firm believer that our children should earn their grades, so all I did was help show her how to do all of these techniques, and then let her do the actual creating of the projects. Katie definitely has her own wonderful set of creative skills and did just fine, as you can see. I did hear that some moms helped their children out quite a bit more than that in order to make sure they would graduate—but that's another story! LOL


Katie did really well during the official presentation day at school and is currently in the 20 top rated ones, awaiting to hear if she made it into the Top 10 out of the entire Senior Class. We're so proud of her and I loved getting to spend this special time together, working on such an important project! But it also makes me a little sad to realize that there won't be too many more times like this before she leaves for college in the Fall… I guess I'll just have to make sure we cram as much "us time" in as we can until then! *Ü*

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations to Katie! That is an awesome project. Helps to have a mom with all sorts of supplies, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie, that is a wonderful project. Great job! I think the cupcakes look yummy and I agree with Lori, the faux wood is great. I thought it was a prebought print of some sore.

    Good luck on making the top 10

    Lara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous work Katie! You deserve to be in the top :)

    And great job Lori for teaching Kati all the different techniques involved in this yummy project!

    Good luck on making it into the Top 10.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, ladies! *Ü*

    Yes, Katie knows she totally lucked out with the "My Mom has a craft store for a studio" department! LOL She showed the board to the grandparents over the weekend and they were pretty tickled to see it too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:01 PM PST

    im doing a project like this for school and I was wondering how you did the wood. thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used a faux painting technique with a wood graining tool you can find in your local art or home improvement store. Hope that helps and good luck with your project! *Ü*

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! I love hearing from you and hope you will stop by again! *Ü*

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...