Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Beachcomber Style

I love all things relating to the ocean and have recently been working on a new "Beachcomber" series inspired by it that I'm pretty excited about! One of my favorite things to do on the beach is comb it for bits of colorful beach glass, unusual rocks, and pretty shells. And I'm always thinking of ideas on what to do with them (besides stick them all in a clear jar on my shelf), but it's kind of hard to find pieces that are easy to drill a hole in to make jewelry with. So I figured it would be easier (and almost as fun!) to create my own "faux" beach glass and other ocean inspired beads out of glass to use. So here's what I've working on lately…


This is one of my "Tide Pool" heart focals, made with a lovely pale aqua glass that has tiny seed bubbles in it—looks like it's really underwater! Then I layered on some of my handmade silvered ivory shards (thin pieces of glass that are blown into large bubbles and broken apart), a fun starfish, and my handmade "barnacle" murrini. I love the cool 3-D effect on these beads and plan on offering them in several other starfish colors.

Next, I have my "Beach Pebbles" and yes, they're all made out of glass too! I've given them soft facets and dents, then etched them to look like they really just tumbled onto the beach…


And then some of my favorites—my faux "Beach Glass" that I've created into organic looking disks with a hole in the center, and also etched to a velvety finish. They look so much like the real thing, even *I* have a hard time believing I didn't find them on a beach somewhere (except the hole gives them away! LOL). I'm also making these in other colors, such as pale aqua and amber.


I'm working on these Beach Glass beads in other shapes and also have coordinating spacer beads made out of the same seeded aqua glass as I used for the Tide Pool hearts. You can find all of these new beads in my Etsy shop HERE.


I created similar beads last year to make this cool bracelet that was featured in Bead Trends magazine, but I haven't really dedicated myself to creating a series until now. But my Muse has been urging me on and I'm working on other coordinating designs that I hope to blog about soon…while the great ideas keep flowing and before I lose my beachcombing mojo! *Ü*

P.S. ~ And don't forget that I'm offering up to 20% off all my finished jewelry and selected beads from my shop throughout the entire month of August, with new sale items being listed to my "MEGA PromoFrenzy Special" section all the time! You can also search for great deals from all the other PromoFrenzy Team shops that are participating by either clicking on the links in my sidebar, or searching for the "promofrenzyteam" tag. ;-D


18 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! Especially love the bracelet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The "tide pool" is gorgeous! The bracelet is really pretty too. =)
    ~Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, Love, Love the "Tide Pool" bead!! Absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that bracelet featured at the bottom of the post! Great post and beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You and my sister would be perfect together...she spends all her time on the beach and she does drill holes in sea glass...beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so talented! Great pieces and they really look like you picked them up off the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such beautiful bead work. It really does look like beach glass. Can't wait to see the rest of your new line.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous! Really love the tidepool heart! Great photos too:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely! The first one reminds me of a pair of flip flops on the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the Beach Pebbles and Faux Beach Glass. Great conbination.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That bracelet is lovely! I love the soft colors!
    Cindy
    http://cute-ecakes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE the beach glass. It is so soft looking, with the soft lighting.....

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the beach glass too!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am totally in love with all your work!!! You are my idol :) One day I will learn to do this too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are just beautiful. The beach glass is exquisite.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! I love hearing from you and hope you will stop by again! *Ü*

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...