Monday, January 23, 2012

Snow + Ice = Hard Times


Remember how happy I was to see the first snowfall earlier in the week? Well, my Happy Dance quickly turned into the Stressed Out Samba when the next day, all the beautiful, fluffy snow turned into loads of harsh, scary ice, followed by days of screaming winds of at least 60 MPH. Our roads were made nearly impassable, trees split and broke apart with sounds like loud rifle shots, and our power was in constant flux (even now, there are still thousands of people who are still without power!). Ashley ended up missing 4 days of school and Kraig had to stay home from work because it was so dangerous to try and drive anywhere in those conditions.

At the end of the week, the weather warmed up and the ice finally melted, leaving behind tons of damage in its wake. Our neighborhood, blessed with an abundance of lovely gardens and large trees, looked like a war zone. We lost at least 4 of our trees, including my favorite old lilac tree, and our car was sideswiped by a falling branch (luckily, it didn't do too much damage!). But at least we were one of the luckier ones, staying safe and warm and had our power for the majority of the time.

I wasn't able to go out and take any photos of the ice when it was at its worst, but these are from our front yard on the day after…


I also discovered some cool looking mossy stuff growing on the broken branches of one of our trees—a bit of beauty in the midst of the chaos…


It makes me so sad to see all the trees lying broken all over the place, here at home and everywhere else in our local area. But soon we'll get everything cleared up and Spring is right around the corner…and hopefully, things will be back to normal again!

I hope you're staying warm and safe this Winter, wherever you live! *Ü*

14 comments:

  1. I too am so glad it's over Lori, I hope that's all we get for the season. I love that moss/lichen, I have a stick somewhat like that I use as a jewelry back drop at times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, not the Lilac tree, it was so pretty. I'm sorry to see those broken trees in your yard. Thanks goodness nothing fell on your house. That lichen is inches think in my mom's yard an on her driveway due to the number of trees than fall. It is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Weather is so fickle ... beautiful but harrowing, too. the lichen you saw is really lovely. Wouldn't that design beautiful on a bead?

    ReplyDelete
  4. just when i think I don't like winter or the cold, strong images like this remind me of the beauty winter holds!! thanks for hte cheering up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although they can be pretty, I hate to see storms like this where so many trees are damaged. I live in NH and see this a lot between Jan-Mar when the heavier snow and ice typically comes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My grandkids live in Seattle - they were in snow heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Winter is fun to play in but not to live in....I love taking the kids out to play in fresh snow, love how clean it all looks but when it comes to storms I am no fan.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sad to lose the trees! Hope you are keeping warm!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kristi and Mt. Baldy~ Great ideas on using that lichen/moss too! I'll definitely have to try those! *Ü*

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad that you guys got away relatively unscathed! Does this mean you didn't lose power? Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yikes! We usually have a ton of snow here in NY but this year has been really calm (hopefully I didn't jinx it by saying that!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That moss photo is so beautiful. Hope that this storm was the worst you'll see this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The weather sure has become unpredictable in the last few years, glad you made out okay :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. uniquecozytreasures- I did see on TV that you were having such bad weather. So sorry to hear. We have had several very bad ice storms here in the Midwest in years past. We lost power for a couple days once and another time it was out for 4 days, but we were prepared that time with a generator. Things will soon be back to normal for you all.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! I love hearing from you and hope you will stop by again! *Ü*

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...