Monday, May 14, 2012

Mother's Day Treasures




This Mother's Day was so nice because my oldest daughter, Katie, had just returned from her first year of college the day before—so I was able to celebrate with both my favorite girls! As per our annual tradition, I received a delicious breakfast and lovely flowers, and then they took me to one of my favorite Seattle street markets and to see The Avengers movie later that evening (which I had been dying to see!).


At the market, I was happy to find some beautiful pearls and beads, which I'm looking forward to incorporating into some new jewelry designs. But by far, my greatest treasures of the day (and for the past 20 years) are my two precious daughters, Katie and Ashley! They have grown into such wonderful young women and now that we're finally getting over the tough "Teenageritis" phase, I can see where all our hard work as parents is finally showing the positive results. Katie even surprised me with a two-page letter that brought me to tears. Here's a little excerpt…

"…I am so thankful for everything you've done in my life and shaping me into the person I am today, even though I might not have realized it at the time. I'm so blessed to have you and there is no other mother in the world I would want instead."

There were a lot of other deeply moving things she wrote me that I prefer to keep private, but I don't think she'll mind my sharing this small part because I felt it would be such an encouragement to all you Moms out there who might be struggling in your relationships with your children right now. Her current attitude and amazing maturity over this past year are MILES away from what she had during most of her teenage years—which were filled with great frustration, fear, tears, and sometimes deep depression for me. My knees were worn out from all the praying her father and I did over her and I'm so happy (and relieved!) now to see that our "tough love" and perseverance has finally paid off.

So I just wanted to send out a message to any Mom who might be feeling as low as I was and dealing with a similar situation…hang in there, pray often, and stick with your convictions while still showing unfailing love for your children. God is always watching over all of you and I promise, things will get better and someday they will realize and be grateful for what a Treasure you are too! *Ü*

22 comments:

  1. Beautiful picture! That is so sweet, happy (late) mothers day everyone!

    My mom wanted to see avengers too but I had to work :( so we did not have time to see a movie that day but we are going to do a rain check at the end of the month on a day when my dad is off and so am I (and I hope my brother at least in the morning) lol :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Aulani! It was a really great movie, so I'm sure your family will love it too when you get the chance to see it!

      Delete
  2. beautiful family! Sounds like you had a wonderful mothers day, I took my mom to see Avengers too..great movie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is wonderful that you spent a most memorable Mothers day with your daughters and you got to spend enjoying it all with them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ana! Yes, we had a very nice time together—and fortunately, it's not just on this one day of the year! ;-D

      Delete
  4. Lovely commentary on the long winding path of being a mother. So glad you have your girls with you.

    We had great problems with one of our daughters too but she is now a wonderful person. Never give up and never stop loving them AND letting them know that you love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great advice, Calliope! Hope you had a wonderful Mom Day too!

      Delete
  5. It sounds like you had a wonderful day with your precious girls!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we did! (And the eye candy in the Avengers movie wasn't bad either! LOL)

      Delete
  6. Awww, you and your daughters are so cute! How sweet of them to think of all these wonderful things to do with you on Mother's Day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Yes, they can actually be pretty sweet on occasion—even for teenagers! ;-D

      Delete
  7. Lori, what a beautiful picture of you and your daughters!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lori I loved your post and it just brought to me tears, too! You are so right that tough love is so hard but it is so nice to hear how it has shaped your girls into wonderful young women. I have a baby girl and a toddler and I so hope and pray that we will raise them to be wonderful people sometime, too. I might just bookmark this to come back to it when I am having a hard day with the two of them! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, your comments touched my heart, Tina! You have many adventures ahead of you with you two young ones, but keep praying and doing the best you can and I'm sure they'll turn into wonderful adults someday! At the time we're struggling, it may not seem possible, but I'm proof that it is! *Ü*

      Delete
  9. Hi Lori, wonderful post!!! ... I think all of your work as a mom to bring up your beautiful daughters wasn't for nothing ... Now when they grown ups It's like you have two amazing girlfriends that you can do staff together and talk girl talk ....AMAZING !!! I wish i will be mom one day :)I'm sure that Just if i hear my kid calling me "MOM" i will melt down. To be a mom is Blessing !!
    Good Luck - Xo Rachel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rachel! And yes, even with the extra hard work some of us moms have, I wouldn't trade the blessing of having my girls for anything! *Ü*

      Delete
  10. What a great picture with you and your daughters! I know you had a wonderful day and how great Katie could be home to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy! Yes, it was really nice to have Katie home just in time! Now we get her for the rest of the Summer too! ;-D

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! I love hearing from you and hope you will stop by again! *Ü*

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...