Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Pilchuck Glass Retreat


This past weekend, I was away having tons of fun at the annual glass retreat for our Northwest ISGB chapter. This year, we were extremely fortunate to have the famous Pilchuck Glass School host us, which was a first for any outside group to be invited to do. Pilchuck is where one of my favorite glass artists, Dale Chihuly, once taught and studied, so it made it extra special for me to get to visit this wonderful facility!

Over a jam-packed three days, we got to explore the fabulous wooded campus, watch demonstrations from some amazingly talented people, practice what we learned at the torch, eat delicious meals, and visit with other "kindred spirits."


There were glassy goodies scattered casually everywhere over the campus, including this amazing William Morris blown glass sculpture…it was so fun to try and find as many as I could every time I went outside during meals and break time!


An abundance of demonstrations by talented artists like Cynthia Toops, Kimberly Affleck, Andrea Guarino-Slemmons and others throughout each day have all sorts of new ideas buzzing around in my head…


One of the neatest discoveries while I was out exploring with some other attendees was this quirky little concrete structure called "The Trojan Horse," which was so named because it was built as a "temporary" class project many years ago, but was never really intended by the teacher to be dismantled afterwards. LOL It was covered with an eclectic mix of unusual glass castings in the oddest places!


I almost didn't go to the Retreat this year because I was feeling stressed out about getting ready for my upcoming Portland bead show, but I'm really glad I did…it gave me a chance to relax and enjoy the beautiful surroundings, learn wonderful new techniques, and make some great new friends along the way. I hope we get to do this again someday at this magical place! *Ü*

7 comments:

  1. Yay, I got on. Loved the pictures. What a wonderful experience. Bet all the glass bead people are jealous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! So glad we got it to work for you! And thanks so much! ;-D

      Delete
  2. I'm jealous! What a beautiful setting to ignite your creative juices in!
    Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that is so pretty id love to go there and I dont even do glass! Im glad you got to relax and good luck on the coming show.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing Pictures !!!! Great idea Lori i even didn't know there is such a thing as weekend retreat for glass beading :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this looks like so much fun! I want to go to one someday :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it. Looks amazing. Love the little birds.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! I love hearing from you and hope you will stop by again! *Ü*

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...