Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Phase 1B: Bead Sorting Marathon



As part of Phase One of my my ambitious "Studio Transmogrification," I've gathered all the numerous containers of beads that have been piling around my work area and have started the huge process of sorting through each and every one, getting them organized into usable sets or the Beads of Courage donation pile.  

These are all the beads I've been collecting since I first started making them full-time about three years ago—they're the "orphans" that didn't make it into a set because they were too big, too small, the color was slightly off, or it otherwise didn't match up to my exacting standards—because whenever I put together a set, I admit I am pretty nitpicky about making sure every single bead matches the others as closely as possible. They are also the experimental and "just for fun" designs I've played around with, random color testing, and "oops!" designs that didn't turn out like I wanted, but still had good hole ends and no structural flaws. (Because ya never know when you might need that *one* special bead to complete a project, right?! LOL)


I've already spent hours sorting through these random piles and am making some serious headway (including a few "what was I thinking?!?" beads that ended up going directly to the trash can!), but still am only about halfway through the process. *whew!* I was very surprised at how many beads I had accumulated that were enough to make complete sets on their own, even though some were a little less perfectly matched than I usually like to assemble (I've been told that most people aren't nearly as picky as I am, so I'm hoping they'll still be wanted for their lovable handmade qualities?!). These are most of the sets I've put together so far, and next I'm going to start working on more eclectic groups of mixed bead designs, as well as a few "grab bags" that I will offer exclusively from my Facebook Fan Page HERE.

A lot of these unique sets will be coming with me to the Lynnwood Whole Bead Show, May 3-5, but check my Facebook page often over the next few weeks and I promise I'll have some of them and other surprise goodies available there first! Or you're welcome to contact me via email or Facebook message and I can let you know if anything you're interested in will be offered for sale before the show or not?

Now it's off to do more sorting…because the rest of those beads aren't going to magically match up and jump on the wire all by themselves (…but oh, how I wish they could though! LOL) *Ü*








11 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have quite a job ahead of you, but I'm sure there are plenty of people who would love to buy those beads! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have numerous amounts of beads also, but I will continue to collect. I have bought vintage jewelry over the years at Yard Sale that some of the stones were missing and took apart just for the beads and gems.
    I need to do the same thing! Good luck at your bead show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like fun (sarcastic voice). Good luck! Instead of putting beads in the trash you should collect them and give them away on Listia or similar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it is, Andrea! (also in sarcastic voice! LOL). The only ones I'm putting in the trash are the ones that have sharp holes and I felt weren't safe to use in jewelry or for kids to play with. The ones that don't make the cut for a set are going to be sent to Beads of Courage, which is a wonderful organization that I love to donate to. I'll have to look into that Listia, as I've never heard of that one before, thanks! :-)

      Delete
  4. What fun, lol. I don't make beads, but I have similar looking containers all over the place filled with left overs from other projects, some "where did you come from" beads, and a great many "why on earth did I buy these" beads. I don't envy you your sorting, but your beads are really lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have fun! It reminds me of the first time I organized my yarn stash!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow that is alot of beads galore! I've listed a few thing in Listia before I think it's worth checking out. That is awesome that you are donating to beads of courage!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so impressive - think of it as spring cleaning for your studio! It's kind of amazing how much we collect over time, isn't it? I know David and I were just talking about the mountain of ribbon and raffia we've got at the kitchen - and how we need to *STOP* buying any more, and just use up what we have.

    Good luck at the show - you're sure to be a hit!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your studio is gorgeous! And I'm going to have to do some real sorting to clean up after BSBP! I had so much fun escaping from the house selling, auction, car issues, job issues, etc.!!! Tomorrow is the big day! See you there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I checked the date of the reveal! I'm ready to post but the reveal is not till tomorrow! HA! Shows you how crazy I am and I'm getting crazier. We are about to head out for the place in Salisbury for another long weekend of packing and cleaning. Will show the house twice this weekend. Fingers crossed! See you tomorrow (the real tomorrow!)

      Delete
    2. YAY, you got an extra day than you thought, Carol! LOL Can't wait to see your Bead Soup design(s) and I'm so excited to share what I did with the soup mix you sent me! Hope you have a great weekend and sell that house too! *Ü*

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! I love hearing from you and hope you will stop by again! *Ü*

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...