Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Design Challenge No. 1 Results

I had a lot of fun being inspired by last week's Design Challenge photo and can't wait to do it again! I'm excited to continue this event and love hearing how others are interested in joining in on the fun with me. I've also recently discovered that it seems many people would like to play along, but can't make the one-week turnaround I originally proposed, so I've decided to make a few changes so that we can be sure to see as many inspired projects as possible. *Ü*

I took a poll on my Facebook page and the majority wished for once-a-month challenges, with those wanting one every two weeks coming very close behind. So, I've decided to go to a bi-weekly schedule, posting a new theme on the 1st and 15th of each month. That way, those who can only handle a project once a month can have two themes to choose from, and everyone who wants more frequent challenges can do both. I hope this will help you all get a better chance to participate and show us those great designs!

NEW DEADLINE!! 
With that in mind, I'm extending the deadline for Challenge No. 1 through June 13th, so that those of you who said they were inspired can have more time to complete their projects to share. Please go to my original blog post HERE for details on how to enter and leave your links in the comments section, making sure to explain what materials you used and how you were inspired. Then I will continue to share them on my various social media sites and in a post on the 14th, before the next Challenge theme is announced.

To recap, here is the Inspiration photo for the current Challenge:


I was suffering from a nasty combination of Spring cold and allergies for most of last week, so I didn't get a chance to work on the big "TA-DAH!" design that I wanted to tackle, but I did manage to play with some other new ideas, like these…


I know, I know…cupcake beads inspired by a photo of cupcakes isn't really that much of a creative stretch, right? But I needed to get some made to sell at my local Farmer's Market anyway, and thought I'd try out some new color combinations from the photo. I also liked the floral pattern on the paper wrappers, so I played around with a few swirled frit bases to simulate the feeling without having to spend a lot of time on tiny details. Some of these may not be big winners just yet, but I think I'm on the right track!

The sweet icing roses in the photo reminded me that I've been wanting to make some coordinating rosebuds to go with my larger Watercolor Rose focal beads. I'm a little rusty since it's been a few years since I've made this design, but this Challenge was just the kick I needed to finally get around to adding them to my floral collection again.


These new leaf headpins feature two different color combinations, inspired by the lovely blue-green colors in the photo:


It was harder to see the two-tone details on the ones with a transparent base and I didn't really like how much the wire showed through, so I decided to etch them to give the glass a little more opacity. I loved them so much, I combined them with some of my faux Beach Glass Nuggets and turned them into a pair of earrings, curving the long 20g copper wire into a seamless ear wire so each drop is one continuous piece. These were so quick and easy to make, I will definitely make more inspired by this style!


Kathy Trudeau also made a pair of earrings inspired by the Challenge that I think turned out beautifully! She made the striped beads out of polymer clay and the little accent beads from glass. I love the soft stripes and how she blended all the colors from the original cupcake photo together. You can visit her Flickr album by clicking on the photo to see more…


I know there were a few other people who were going to play along, but didn't get a chance to share their links yet. I sure hope they weren't suffering from colds and/or allergies too? Nothing inhibits creative energy like a running nose, sneezes that scatter your supplies across the table, or eyes so full of tears that you can't tell one color from the next. *ugh!*

But we artistic types will persevere like we always do and find ways to get around those pesky obstacles, right? Looking forward to seeing more of your designs over the next eight days, wishing you a sneeze-free week, and a Muse bursting with exciting new ideas! *Ü*

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! I love hearing from you and hope you will stop by again! *Ü*

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...