Sunday, June 30, 2013

Design Challenge No. 2 Reveal

Time for another Design Challenge reveal! YAY!! These past two weeks, we were inspired by this photo of a Hyacinth from my garden…


This is not only one of my favorite flowers, but also one of my favorite color combinations, so there was no lacking of inspiration for me here! LOL One of the first things I picked up on was how the purple and blue colors layered together along the curves of the flower petals. It made me think of a tutorial for "Roly Poly Beads" that I had purchased a while ago from talented lampwork artist Laura Sparling, but hadn't tried out yet.


The three beads on the far left were my first attempts at this new technique and I used blue violets and purples to mimic the colors of the flower. I had so much fun once I got the hang of it, I was inspired to try some other color combinations too! These will all be joining a bunch of other beads I am making for the Beads of Courage kids, so I hope they love them as much as I do!

I thought the petals would also make a great roof for one of my little Birdhouses, giving it a slight variation from the way I've normally been making them by pulling each "petal" into a point, just like the real flowers. Wouldn't this also make a great little Fairy House, just by making the door with a knob instead of a perch?


The little Birdie next to it was made with another type of purple glass I've been trying to master called EDP (aka "Evil Devitrifying Purple"), but in this case I had the happy accident of it turning out more magenta and pink than purples like I was expecting. I love the way all the raised parts are a different shade than the body.

Jewelry designer Dini Bruinsma was inspired to create this beautiful bracelet, featuring her own lampwork beads, combined with blue kyanite and freshwater pearls. Isn't it stunning?! I love the way she mixed the glossy and rough finishes and she even shared a great story about Hyacinths on her blog post.


Thanks so much for sharing with us, Dini! My next post will introduce the photo inspiration for Challenge No. 3, so I hope many of you will jump in and join me! *Ü*


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! I love hearing from you and hope you will stop by again! *Ü*

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...