Monday, January 6, 2014

Snow Globe Suprise

One of the things I wanted to do before my daughters headed back to college after Christmas break, was to surprise them with a special gift that could serve as a reminder of how much we love and miss them when they're away from home. And because they love my glass beads, but don't like to wear a lot of jewelry, I decided to try my hand at making some personalized Snow Globes using these cheerful little Snowmen I made using some of their favorite colors…


I think they turned out rather adorable, don't you? I've made Snowmen beads before, but this was the first time I'd made them as sculptural designs instead of having a hole run through them. They were made all at one time on my torch in one piece—even the little glass "branch" arms, which were the trickiest part of the whole process and something I could never be able to include on a bead for jewelry. I also made each one his own little Birdie companion, to make sure he wouldn't get lonely after I put him into the glass dome.

After I mixed in some recycled baby food jars, paint, glitter, and water, I ended up with this fun result:


A gentle shake makes the glitter swirl around in a silvery shower that is so pretty (but very difficult to capture while one hand is holding the camera and the other is shaking it! LOL) I also wrote "You are "snow" special!" on the top in silver Sharpie pen (based on a funny family inside joke)…


As this was the first time I'd ever attempted to make my own snow globe from scratch, I had a few hiccups along the way and it ended up taking longer than I expected to get the job done properly. But I think the effort was well worth it, if judging by the look on my girls' faces when I showed it to them! Now, whenever they get homesick, they can just give the globe a shake and know we're thinking of them too! *Ü*


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! I love hearing from you and hope you will stop by again! *Ü*

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...