Friday, February 28, 2014

"Clean Up, Fix Up Your Workspace" Blog Hop

Several weeks ago, I stumbled across a notice on my Facebook news feed by Sharyl's Jewelry, asking if any fellow bead hoarders lovers would like to join her in cleaning up and organizing their work spaces, then share the results on a blog hop? This was a providential sighting for me, as I had been going quietly crazy trying to work around the chaotic mess of my studio. So I jumped right on in and signed up—knowing that being held accountable for blogging about it would be just the kick in the pants I needed!

I actually have two separate studios—one in the garage for making my glass beads and firing metal clay, and another one upstairs for making jewelry and all my other creative endeavors. My glass studio is only about 1/20th the size of my other one and is limited to basically the area of my work table and not much else, so it seems that I am constantly fighting to keep it in a decent production mode—no easy task when I am often on the torch for four to six hours a day and then spend a few more hours upstairs cleaning beads, packing up orders, photographing, and marketing too.

But with Sharyl's incentive urging me on, I forced myself to make the time to get things whipped back into shape. This is what my work space looked like BEFORE…


I bet you're wondering how I even managed to get anything done in all this, huh? Several long hours later, this is what it looked like AFTER…


And no, I didn't just throw everything out of sight for the photo! LOL All my loose glass rods and tools were all put back in their places and the table top was scrubbed clean. *whew!* It's amazing how much my spirit of creativity came flooding back when I had a clean, organized slate to start with again! 

I already had this studio pretty organized in terms of having places for everything to go—a must when I have such a small space that needs to function at the highest production level. In the upper left corner of my desk, I re-purposed a spinning pen holder from my graphic design days so that it now holds glass rods, mica powders, and various tools. Inexpensive metal pots from the craft store filled with vermiculite hold my mandrels, while others collect the short bits of glass that I can't bear to throw away. A skinny ice cube tray holds a variety of glass stringers in the right corner and most of my brass presses are stored neatly underneath the table on a shelf. 

In addition to the tools shown on the far right side that are hanging on magnetic hooks and a rack, I also set up a new place around the corner to organize more tools from my growing collection (although this is still not ALL the ones that I own! shhhhhhh!!). Some strong magnets from Harbor Freight, a couple of long hanging strips, and a metal filing cabinet, and BAM! All my favorites within easy reach of my hand while concentrating on spinning molten glass in the flameheavenly!



I had really hoped to get both studios reorganized for the blog reveal, but I guess I'll have to be happy that I at least managed to get my glass studio spiffed up in time. And now that I'm on a roll, I am planning to tackle my jewelry studio over the weekend! I did start working on it last year, but it's been a slow project often put on hold while other priorities have cut in…you can see some of the things I did from my previous post by clicking HERE.

Thank you, Sharyl, for giving me such a fun reason to clean up and I can't wait to see how everyone else in the blog hop did too! If you'd like to be inspired by the other participants as well, please click on this link HERE to visit Sharyl's blog (scroll to the end to see the full list)…then maybe tackle your own space and free up those creative juices again?! *Ü*

19 comments:

  1. It is so true that having a clean space allows the creativity to flow again. Your studio looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved having a peek into your studio Lori! Now I know where the magic happens. Your idea of using magnets on your filing cabinet was brilliant. The whole space looks great now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the look in to your studio. Looks great but now I have tool envy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. GASP! I had to do that since you can't actually hear me. What a feat! I've heard people with cooking skills (100% not me) mention the joy of having everything at their fingertips and I believe it. It looks like you've really rocked that now with new homes just an arms length a way. Wonderful, just a wonderful sight to see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you organized your tools.....brilliant idea! Your workspace looks wonderfully set up but we all know what happens when we get lost in creativity. Where are the craft fairies when we need them?
    Great job, Lori. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lori-You sure have a lot of stuff and you did a great job with it. Your studio looks as professional as your business. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy! Oh, if you only knew how much stuff I REALLY have?! I could open my own store at this point! LOL

      Delete
  7. Ok, now not only do I have studio envy, I also have serious bead lust. How did I not know about your Etsy store before? Ooooh the shopping list. Oooh the grabby hands. And it all started with a tidy bench!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL—thanks for making my day, Rain! *Ü*

      Delete
  8. Ha! Your before pic is way batter than what mine looks like now! I should have posted some pics of that part of my work space. Maybe next time. I love your tool stations, nice work space for sure. Flame on....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the best thing about this clean up blog hop is that I am getting so many great ideas from so many artists. I am definitely getting some magnet strips and tool holders -- love your stainless steel table top! And I like your venting tube. I lay ceramic tile on my stove top, run the vent hood on high (it's a high powered vent hood) but my arms always get tired. Love your double arm rest. Nice! I don't make glass beads often and I'm not good at it, but I sure do love looking at those who know what they are doing! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Natalie! In case you're wondering, my arm rest gizmo is called a Creation Station and it definitely makes a world of difference in your comfort level while torching! *Ü*

      Delete
  10. What a fantastic space! Love the magnetic strips and hanging tools. I also like the little tin pots and organizers that keep everything visible and within reach. Can't wait to see the jewelry-making areas next!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a person who really likes things in sight and handy, which is probably why things don't remain tucked away in their drawers very well! I love how your work space has everything close and right at hand, yet it's still so tidy and not in the way of your work! What wonderful ideas you've shared with us all here! Thanks so much for participating and sharing the "joy" of cleaning! :-) --Sharyl

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you SO much for the wonderful compliments! I was inspired by your great work spaces too and hope we can all continue to have as much fun as possible in our "creative chaos" and still manage to keep it better under control in the future. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely work space ! Not only am I bowled over by your studio , I `m also totally awed by the other treasures I found on your blog . ! Your creations are really super !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Motidana! *Ü*

      Delete
  14. Lori your studio is awesome. You have one of the best setups that I have ever seen. You did a marvelous job of cleaning it up and organizing. Thank you for sharing. I got several new ideas from your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Becky! I'm always happy to hear if any of my ideas have inspired someone else! *Ü*

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! I love hearing from you and hope you will stop by again! *Ü*

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...